[SunRescue] Am I the only guy here who like VMS?

User Bobkeys BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 26 09:53:11 CST 2001

> All,
>
> Lots of us here have (or have had) vaxen, including myself, and it seems
> that most of you are running net-BSD on them. Am I the only guy here who
> actually thinks VMS was pretty cool? Ok it's networking was irritating, but
> in terns of file services, print services, directory services etc... I think
> it did a pretty good job.

VAXen are great fun.  I run a tiny MV3100/M20 as a web server here.
Slow, but adequate for light teaching loads.  It is running OpenBSD,
but most of my other VAXentoyz run NetBSD or Ultrix.  Ultrix 32M
in the early versions are fun and take a small footprint.  4.3BSD
is fun, too.  NetBSD is the easiest to run, these days, with OpenBSD
the easiest to install.  VMS I avoid.

The problem with VMS is that when UNIX can grok cat, VMS requires

  fooisacalifragilisticexpalidocious gefritzenfrinkle widgefratzzenpoken

to do anything, if you are lucky.  My fingers can't take the
gemittenfingerpoking that VMS requires, anymore.  Most of my
VAXen came with VMS, but I run it up once, to see what is there,
then put it out to pasture.  I hear the latest hobby VMS is better.

Someone mentioned that 250 buckeroo MicroVAX on ebay?  Wow.  Most
of mine I get for the hauling, or for 3-5 bucks at the MooU surplus
dumpster diving feeding frenzy.  That is the best way to find them.
Folks around here just don't know what to do with them, so they sit
or go for zilch.

> Am I just crazy here, or is it that no-one still has VMS OS tapes?

I have yet to run across VMS tapes, although someone around here must
have had them, at one time.  I did find a couple backups one time,
but no OS tapes.

Bob