[SunRescue] Re: rescue digest, Vol 1 #1105 - 18 msgs

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Mar 25 15:51:37 CST 2001

On Sat, 24 Mar 2001, William Barnett-Lewis wrote:
> Then again, my idea of ideal hardware is an Xerox D-machine or a
> Symbolics UX-1200 VME board for a Sun box(I'd damn near do anything for
> one... Anyone here got one for sale???). Good as *nix is, the real Lisp
> Machines blow it completely out of the water. To me, the best DEC is/was
> a PDP-10 running Interlisp...  ;'p

What is a Xerox D-machines?

Anyway, I don't know where to get a UX-1200, but I do know where to get a
UX-400 (similar, but a little slower).  There is a man named David K.
Schmidt (probably butchered his last name.  Can look it up if you need me
to).  He will sell a UX-400 brand-new for $750.  Not including shipping.
This is, this board is unsupported.  However, if you buy a MacIvory II,
that is $600 and supported.  Sure, it requires a Mac, but a Quadra 950 is
far cheaper that the $150 price difference between the two products.
Also, you will need a new video card, since for some reason the macivory
boards can't use the unboard video.

I don't have either of the boardsets I talk about above.  I want to buy
one someday, but at this time spending $600 on something like this isn't
wise.

--
Joshua Boyd