[SunRescue] What Gem did I find?

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 24 13:54:28 CST 2001

[ On Saturday, March 24, 2001 at 13:30:11 (EST), dave at cca.org wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [SunRescue] What Gem did I find?
>
> Historicly, because it took an expensive degree of "oompf" (no longer
> an issue) and the licensing fees for Adobe were a little steep (no longer
> an issue, given ghostscript (*are* there any GS based printers?)).

I don't know for sure, but I do know Cannon have done a PS
implementation of their own for some of their printers.

> would assume the Adobe licensing fees have become much much cheaper
> anyways.

I'm not so sure :-)

> I have mixed feelings about PS on the printer. For most files, it's killer,
> but for some things it's better to run postscript on your host and have
> a dumb-frame-buffer style printer.

It's almost never better to run PS on the host unless you've got a
USB or faster interface....  Then there are all the horrible
registration problems....  Yuck.

I keep meaning to ask my Apple supplier for a SCSI cable for my Apple
LaserWriter 16/600.  It's got 32MB of RAM (the max) in it, but a disk
for font cache would maybe help it out a bit.

> Any PS printer should be capable of that mode of operation though, so
> yeah, all printers should be postscript. :-)

Exactly!  That's the spirit!

(Of course if you don't have Ethernet or USB (or at worst localtalk) to
your printer then you'll suffer with big print jobs either way.)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>      <robohack!woods>
Planix, Inc. <woods at planix.com>; Secrets of the Weird <woods at weird.com>