[SunRescue] Software raid

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 23 23:11:08 CST 2001

Has anyone here ever tried running software raid-5?  I need a new file
server I guess (my current PeeCee one doesn't have enough drive bays or
PCI slots).  Sun is an option, but PC is more likely.

Anyway, I'm wondering what the possibilities for software raid-5 are.  I
know the computations are fairly intensive, but would something like a
dual processor pentium (say dual 166) be able to keep up fast enough to
saturate 100 mbit? How about an Ultra 1?  Ultra 5?

Am I going to find that the cost of a good enough computer will be higher
than the cost of a hardware solution?

--
Joshua Boyd