[SunRescue] Cheap starter suns clones on eBay...

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 23 15:15:47 CST 2001

Actually, Ken, it's my fault that the one you bought
cost as much as it did...I bought #3 for our
lab (1x64MB + 2x16MB w/floppy for $51 (!)), and the
low bidder on mine then switched over and was the one
who drove the price up on #6 that you bought.

It would appear that the price of non-Ultra systems
has really gone through the floor...especially for
the clones without keyboard/mouse.  I just couldn't
resist a SPARC 10/20-class system for $51...it's only
got OBP 2.9, but that's fine to add to our basic
Solaris 8 sysadmin lab.  Now to wait and see exactly
what processor is inside the silly thing.

Two related questions--
1.  We have a COMPStation 20SL here which is *actually*
    a SPARC 10 clone...50-pin SCSI vice SCA, and no
    13W3 on the motherboard or space for VSIMMs.  Haven't
    taken the time to figure out whether the MBus
    is the SPARC 10 or SPARC 20 variation, as it's
    chugging along with a single SM51.  Anyone have
    any idea/speculation as to whether the new boxen are
    really SPARC 20-class?

2.  The aforementioned COMPStation 20SL has an "official"
    Tatung 2.25 OBP...which I would love to copy for
    the new system.  (Among other things, either that
    OBP or some other uniqueness *does* let the current
    system use 32MB SIMMs).  Anyone in the DC/MD/VA area
    with the capability to duplicate PROMs?  I know that
    Mike N. is not *too* far away, but not sure about
    PROM burners.

Rip Loomis		Voice Number: (410) 953-6874
Senior Security Engineer
Center for Information Security Technology
http://www.cist.saic.com