[SunRescue] Big iron on eBay

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 23 10:57:34 CST 2001

Sorry, I gotta reply to this one twice---

the SS2000e would be easy to get going-- just add
the SS1000/2000 RAM and SM51-SM81 CPUs and you're
set. The CS6400 is a little more tricky....

The CS6400 is the precursor to the E10k-- it requires
an SSP. Unlike the E10K which uses ethernet for its
control board communication the CS6400 uses a special
serial+JTAG cable. You need a special serial+JTAG
card. Now in that auction for that CS6400 since it's
coming straight from the Univ. Of BC it should have all
the parts. However, lots of surplus dealers ONLY have
the huge cabinet. It will be friggin' useless w/o the
SSP. The CS6400 runs Solaris, but you need a special
version of Solaris 2.6 to run on it (latest/last
supported version.) You *may* be able to boot a
stock Solaris 2.6 CD on it, but I doubt it. You'll
also need the SSP 2.3 software (last supported SSP
software for the CS6400) on the SSP unit.  Typically
the SSP units shipped w/ the CS6400 were Sparc LXs.

Good luck!

-Jon