[SunRescue] Big iron on eBay

Garten, David N., CTR, OSD-P&R rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 23 10:30:50 CST 2001

	RAM is apparently available.  See Ebay.  501-2196 = 32Mb.  501-1817
= 8Mb.   You need eight sticks for each bank.  Minimum eight or sixteen per
motherboard.  No other options.  SCSI is on the motherboard?  I can't
remember.  Maybe not.  I forget.  But it has 4 SBus and 2 MBus slots on each
motherboard.
	The unit has to have a controller card on the back of the card cage.
If it gets pulled you have a big boat anchor.  Its on reverse of card cage
and has a 25 pin female port (TTY?).  Its in a box structure that covers the
power traces on the backplane.
	CPU's are what they are.  Two per motherboard.  2000Es came with
SM61 and SM81 or SM62/82.  The latter had 2Mb Cache which only the XDBus
could utilize and are unique to the SPARCserver 1000E/2000E series.
	The FEH should be consulted for specific part numbers.  Mine is at
home (others might help here).  Many of the SM61s are 'not supported' on the
1000E/2000E.  I run what I can get (SS1000E).  SM51s work.  SM61s work.  I
haven't tried SM71s.  SM81s run great! ;-)
	I have found my SM61s 'stopped' on occasion.  I don't know if that
is a result of them not being 'supported' or just bum electrons.  The 51s
and 81s are reliable.  I've been too lazy to troubleshoot.  It really
'stops' and becomes unresponsive to the keyboard.  Stop-A does nothing.  I
guess I need to find some kind of console and see if the TTY is boofed,
too...
	It's a 220V system, too.  I would imagine it eats those precious
California watts.  My SS1000E will dim the lights ;-(  The fans are
deafening.  I need to wear ear protection  8P.  And I don't need a space
heater anymore...

V/R

DG