[SunRescue] New Sun midrange servers...

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 23 10:14:32 CST 2001

Chris,

I think your cost estimates are to low, and you are leaving out other costs:

1) There was a non-trivial effort to design, build, test and manufacture these machines - on the order of 10's of millions IMHO.

2) Solaris had to be "convinced" to support this architecture (I am speaking of the effort involved, not that Sun actually had to decide to support it), that was a non-trivial effort as well.

3) The support afforded a site that purchases a $2M machine is several orders of magnitude greater than the typical Sun customer.

4) The salesman spend more than a month on such a sale - clients don't typically know they have a $2M problem, they think they simply need to add more mid-range servers. The salesman convinces them that their server farm is inefficient, convinces them to upgrade, then engineers design a cutover plan and implement it.

5) The high-end machines are built on-site, at a non-trivial expense (they don't ship in *really* big boxes, instead a few hundred boxes. (I once watched a mainframe being built, it took several men several 12-14 hour days to complete it, and when they were done, it was then ready to be powered-up for the SEs to test on before cutting over for the client)

6) They have to take back all/most of those midrange servers you sold the client in the last year or two to help support the cost-savings claim (see #4 above).

7) You have to buy a lot of expensive meals for the client to convince them they need this machine.

8) You have to dedicate a staff to bring the site admins up to speed on the new hardware (Sun does not just drop-ship a few hundred brown cardboard boxes with a one really big "Read Me First" Card ;^).

9) Nobody has $2M *extra* in their budget, most such sales are made in one accounting period, but do not close until a later accounting period, when the money can be "arranged for".

And finally, you have to get your terminology correct - they are not selling a machine, they are selling a "solution" (see above #1-#9).

Ken