Who's is bigger? was RE: [SunRescue] Re: NetApps?

Björn Ramqvist rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 22 01:55:56 CST 2001

dave at cca.org wrote:

> >We need to divvy up this award into categories:
>
> >o physically largest disk array (JBODs, cabinet size)
> >o physically largest hardware-based array (A3500, A3000, RSM2000)
> >o logically largest disk array (veritas, disksuite on a JBOD, SSA101,
> >etc)
> >o logically largest disk array (hardware-based, RM6.22 on a A3500,
> >A1000)
> >o largest single stripe (RM6.22 on my RSM2000 has a limit of 20 disks
> >per stripe, so I have one 20 disk stripe and one 14 disk stripe w/ 1
> >hot-spare.)
>
> Since this is the rescue list, we should be bragging about the worst
> size/storage ratio, or weight/storage...

Well, since we're at this category, I wonder if this little baby would
count:
(Sorry about the b&w photo, but we only had a grayscale scanner
available at that moment)

http://www.eagle.y.se/~ramq/ext/vax8550.jpg

"Mother", a genuine all-Digital machine
Cabinet from left to right;

- TU81+ 6250BPI tapedrive
- TU81+ 6250BPI tapedrive
- 2 x RA81 (450 MB) 16" harddrives and one RA60
- VAX 8550 system cabinet w/ 64 MB RAM
- expansion cabinet w/ BI-Bus extender box
  (and some BI->SDI controllers)
- expansion cabinet, stripped down and filled with 4 x RA82 (650 MB)
drives
- expansion cabinet, same as above
- expansion cabinet, same but with 4 x RA81 (450 MB) drives

Giving all this a total weight of somewhere around 3 tons, I know I was
glad we had it at ground-level in there. Sucked power like... uh, I
don't know. I counted 3 x 24 Amps @ 220/380 Volts 3-phase power.
On the far left you could actually see the little DEC Pro 380 console
which controlled the EMU on the main cabinet. We connected all the
cabinets together with the DEC "power control bus", which gaves us the
wonderful ability to just write "power on", and *whooooom*. Off we go!

But, I don't think this counts really, since it's scrapped now. *sniff*
This baby was perfectly able to keep the whole computer club warm in the
cold winter nights. =)

VAX power. Aye.

/Bjorn