[SunRescue] New Sun midrange servers...

Peter L. Wargo rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 21 23:00:24 CST 2001

I see where the new UltraSPARC-III midrange (Sun Fire) servers are out, both on
sun.com and sunhelp.org. (Keepin' it fresh, Bill!)

Some idiot wrote the following in the "Article Comments" section:

"intel still smoking sun at 1ghz...where are suns promised faster chips??

no IT manager in their right mind would choose sun/solaris when they can go
intel/linux at over 50 times the performance and stability.

this is disturbing when sun should be shipping 2-6ghz cpus today and keeping
solaris in the front but instead they take a back seat and watch linux rule the
enterprise

sigh"

Besides thinking he's e.e. cummings, I have to wonder what this idiot is
smoking... Clock speed ain't everything, and I suspect the UltraSPARC-III will
be fast as all s**t.

I've got a wish list that includes the deskside Sun Fire 4800... Man, that would
make a nice basenji.com, with 12 procs and 96GB of RAM... <big, dreamy grin>
All I need is $365K for the base 4-proc/8G system, and whatever else the other 8
procs and 88G costs...

-Pete
-----
Peter L. Wargo