Who's is bigger? was RE: [SunRescue] Re: NetApps?

Jonathan Katz rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 21 12:25:52 CST 2001

Josh wrote:
> So, how long till we have terabytes of storage at home?  For awhile
> now, I've been thinking of laying out for a 300gig server array.  Not
> sure how large that would be after raid 5 is applied.  But that's a
> 3rd of the way to a terabyte.  Who here has the largest amount of
disk
> space at home?

There were one or two people on this list who are 'tied' with me-- I
have a fully-loaded Sun RSM-2000 (A3000) disk array w/ 35 4.3GB disks
for ~120GB of storage usable in two different RAID5 stripes. I know
it's not the largest for diskspace, but it does take up a full 56" Sun
Datacenter cabinet making it one of the physically larger pieces that
folks would have at home. Eventually (when I win the lottery) I'll
replace the 4GB disks w/ 72GB disks... 35*72 == 2520GB, or 2.5TB.

We need to divvy up this award into categories:

o physically largest disk array (JBODs, cabinet size)
o physically largest hardware-based array (A3500, A3000, RSM2000)
o logically largest disk array (veritas, disksuite on a JBOD, SSA101,
etc)
o logically largest disk array (hardware-based, RM6.22 on a A3500,
A1000)
o largest single stripe (RM6.22 on my RSM2000 has a limit of 20 disks
per stripe, so I have one 20 disk stripe and one 14 disk stripe w/ 1
hot-spare.)

-Jon