[SunRescue] Dumb newbie question :-)

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 20 17:22:03 CST 2001

David--
If the system is booted up, possibly the
easiest way is to do a sys-unconfig as
root and shutdown.  When you start it up
again it asks for a new root password,
hostname, and IP address.

The rest of the answer if you want to do
it by hand:
1.  /etc/hosts - Ensure this has the fully qualified
    hostname, the short hostname, and the IP address:
    "209.70.136.211  bear    bear.cist-east.saic.com"
    (Long hostname really recommended to stop
     sendmail whining and for general good practice)
2.  /etc/hostname.IFNAME (usually hostname.le0 or
    hostname.hme0) - Put the hostname that corresponds
    to the desired entry from /etc/hosts.
3.  /etc/nodename - You don't really need to
    change this, but this will be the name the
    system *thinks* it has...so I usually
    try to make it the same as at least one
    of the hostnames for the system.
4.  As long as you're there, if you have a static
    route then go ahead and configure /etc/defaultrouter
    with the IP address of the router, and then touch
    /etc/notrouter.  That will keep you from running a
    useless routing daemon, for the common case of
    a single static default route.

If you want to see how Solaris does all this,
check out /etc/init.d/rootusr.  For the case where
you haven't changed the hostname but the IP address
has changed, all you need to do is modify /etc/hosts
and reboot (or modify /etc/hosts and do an ifconfig
by hand...)

Hope this helps--

Rip Loomis		Voice Number: (410) 953-6874
Senior Security Engineer
Center for Information Security Technology
http://www.cist.saic.com