[SunRescue] Re: New SunBlade

Kurt Mosiejczuk rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 19 14:08:21 CST 2001

On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Jonathan Katz wrote:

> Kurt asked:
> > Am I alone in thinking that Sun should at least put out a HW release
> > for these machines?  At least for Solaris 7.

> Curious-- why would you prefer 7 to 8?

I feel they should support their new machines on the last two releases
of the OS.  They've done so in the past.  Heck, even the newest Ultra
10s (with the 440Mhz processor) came with a CD-ROM to use to make
Solaris 2.6 and 2.5.1 work with it.

A lot of businesses certify a platform and stick with it for a while.
And they prefer to keep a more homogenous mix of server systems.

And as for me personally, I don't like the fact that Solaris 8 is twice
as bloated as 7.  The disk requirements went up a LOT, and not just because
of the supplemental software.

--Kurt