[SunRescue] Re: New SunBlade

Chris Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Mar 18 23:48:49 CST 2001

Two things, expansion, and form factor

I'll (excuse the horrid pun) expand here. The SB100 is an extremely good
value, however it offers very little room for expansion. There are only two
drive bays, and it only offers PCI based graphics which would take up one of
its three slots. Also from what I have seen the pci slots are fairly
cramped.

The U10 on the other hand has four drive bays (trust me, a 3-1/2" drive fits
in the pcmcia card slot), offers UPA graphics, and there's plenty of room
for cards, with FOUR slots, but the RAM options are a lot less flexible, and
a lot more expensive, and it doesn't have USB.

Oh and there is the secondary issue of form factor. Desktop style machines
take more desk real estate, which for some sites may be a big issue. Also
desktop form factor machines can have more heat buildup issues since the
components arejust a bit closer together. In particular the Ultra 5 has had
problems with the heat issue, even more so if you load the thing up with
cards, and stick high performance drives in.

So really it comes down to wherther the SB100 will meet your needs without
expansion, or if you will need to make upgrades other than RAM or hard
drives. If you need the extra expansion get the U10, otherwise the SB100 is
great.

Now what I really want to see is an SB100-like replacement for the U10 (only
with more cache)

Chris Byrne
The eyes may be the windows on the soul
But the word is the doorway to the mind

*I wish there was more room for cables though. I think Sun designed them to
make it intentionally difficult to connect drives to a scsi card by making
cable routing hell