[SunRescue] SCSI problems with sun 4/470

Michael Free rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Mar 18 17:17:09 CST 2001

------=_NextPart_000_004B_01C0AFD7.A54B9F80

Hello,
    I'm a beginner to the sun world, and apparently it's showing. I'm =
attempting to set up the SCSI bays on my 4/470, and I'm simply puzzled =
by what's going on.

I have an IBM 0664-N1H 2 gig 68 pin SCSI-W hard drive using an adapter =
to get the 50 pin SCSI1. I'm also using, alternately a sony 1x 8012 =
CD-ROM, which came with the system, and a Sony 4x CDU415, a drive that's =
been workable with macintosh machines in the past.

regardless of the configuration,
b sd(,30,)
gets me
sd: SCSI device not found

Now, both CD-ROM drives are set to ID6, which makes the calculated =
number correct. I've tried both drives, same results, with and without =
parity enabled. I've also gotten the same results with two different =
cables, with and without a passive terminator on either the drive, the =
CD-ROM, or a conector past the bus, and in both drive bays.

the command
b sd(0,0,0)
gets
no image found, attempting boot anyway
sd: scsi deive not found

for the hard drive, set to ID 0 (I know i need to move that to ID3).

entering the extended diagnostics via "x" and running SCSI path =
diagnostics gains me the same SCSI error, SCSI device path not found =
error1.=20

This machine has the following cards in it, and appears to be =
functioning normally other than this, and I'm accessing using a serial =
terminal (compaq laptop/kermit/null modem) on ttya.

(x2) 501-1333 32MB ECC memory boards
501-1381 0Mb sparc CPU
501-1855 IPI-2 controller
501-1217 sun-3 SCSI host adapter

If it's important, I can provide the spacing/slot assignment of all the =
boards and any jumper settings you request, but I am away from the =
machine at the moment so i don't have those handy.

One last question about the 470's drive bays; they appear to be a =
hot-swap type design that use a connector in the back of the bay. Inside =
the bay, there are a bank of 4 standard power connectors and 2 50 pin =
SCSI internal connectors. When the bay was removed after I got the =
machine, the cable used was looped around to where one end of the cable =
plugged into one SCSI connector and the other plugged into the second =
one, with devices in-between and unterminated. Is one of the connectors =
a terminator? I have no documentation whatsoever for these machines, and =
I'm winging it as to the manner in which they are set up....and I'm =
really puzzled by the layout on the drive bays.

Thank you,
Mike Free

------=_NextPart_000_004B_01C0AFD7.A54B9F80

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4522.1800" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2><BR> </DIV></FONT>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hello,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>    I'm a beginner to the sun world, =
and=20
apparently it's showing. I'm attempting to set up the SCSI bays on my =
4/470, and=20
I'm simply puzzled by what's going on.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have an IBM 0664-N1H 2 gig 68 pin SCSI-W hard =
drive using an=20
adapter to get the 50 pin SCSI1. I'm also using, alternately a sony 1x =
8012=20
CD-ROM, which came with the system, and a Sony 4x CDU415, a drive that's =
been=20
workable with macintosh machines in the past.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>regardless of the configuration,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>b sd(,30,)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>gets me</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>sd: SCSI device not found</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Now, both CD-ROM drives are set to ID6, which makes =
the=20
calculated number correct. I've tried both drives, same results, with =
and=20
without parity enabled. I've also gotten the same results with two =
different=20
cables, with and without a passive terminator on either the drive, the =
CD-ROM,=20
or a conector past the bus, and in both drive bays.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>the command</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>b sd(0,0,0)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>gets</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>no image found, attempting boot anyway</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>sd: scsi deive not found</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>for the hard drive, set to ID 0 (I know i need to =
move that to=20
ID3).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>entering the extended diagnostics via "x" and =
running SCSI=20
path diagnostics gains me the same SCSI error, SCSI device path not =
found=20
error1. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>This machine has the following cards in it, and =
appears to be=20
functioning normally other than this, and I'm accessing using a serial =
terminal=20
(compaq laptop/kermit/null modem) on ttya.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>(x2) 501-1333 32MB ECC memory =
boards</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>501-1381 0Mb sparc CPU</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>501-1855 IPI-2 controller</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>501-1217 sun-3 SCSI host adapter</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If it's important, I can provide the spacing/slot =
assignment=20
of all the boards and any jumper settings you request, but I am away =
from the=20
machine at the moment so i don't have those handy.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>One last question about the 470's drive bays; they =
appear to=20
be a hot-swap type design that use a connector in the back of the bay. =
Inside=20
the bay, there are a bank of 4 standard power connectors and 2 50 pin =
SCSI=20
internal connectors. When the bay was removed after I got the machine, =
the cable=20
used was looped around to where one end of the cable plugged into one =
SCSI=20
connector and the other plugged into the second one, with devices =
in-between and=20
unterminated. Is one of the connectors a terminator? I have no =
documentation=20
whatsoever for these machines, and I'm winging it as to the manner in =
which they=20
are set up....and I'm really puzzled by the layout on the drive=20
bays.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thank you,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Mike Free</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_004B_01C0AFD7.A54B9F80--