[SunRescue] Re: Recommend starter Sun?

David Michaud rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 17 09:35:16 CST 2001

Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2001 at 04:01:08PM -0500, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> > On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Mike Hebel wrote:
> > > 16" Monitors aren't that bad to ship but obviously you want to try and find
> > > a good 19" - 21" one local.  Check around.  Note: SGI (Silicon Graphics)
> > > monitor will _not_ work for Sun.
> > A question on this though, can you get Sun monitors to work with SGI?
> > I had a friend who recently picked up an Indigo 2 ask me about this, as
> > I have an abundance of GDM-1662s
> > --Kurt
>
> Only the GDM20E20 or better.  1662/1962B is sun-only.
>
> Bill
>
> --
> Bill Bradford
> mrbill at mrbill.net
> Austin, TX

Interesting, considering I have a GDM-1604 (Mfg. July 1989) on one of my
Indys... 1604's and other BNC connect monitors (excluding those ancient
Hitachi boat anchors and other fixed frequency monitors) will work just
fine on Silicon Graphics ("SGI" is lame) if they're multisync, using
13W3-BNC video cables. The difference between Silicon Graphics and Sun
video outputs is that Sun uses composite sync out on pin 5 of the 13W3,
where as Silicon Graphics machines use composite sync on green line.
Most composite sync monitors will accept composite sync on green as
well. Additionally, on most Silicon Graphics graphics boardsets, you can
change the sync output. I would bet that the 1662 would work just fine.

-Dave