[SunRescue] Re: Recommend starter Sun?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 15 20:25:09 CST 2001

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to the list and have been cruising ebay for some classic sun gear.
> I don't have a real production need, but need a unix box at home I can bang
> on (like to run apache, mysql, etc.) -- but mostly for  fun.  I'd like a bit
> of the golden years of Sun!  Like to spend about $100 w/o monitor.
>
> Ebay has tons of SS2's with what seems like enough RAM and HDD for what I
> want to do, but maybe an IPX is better?
>
> I'm thinking NetBSD would be a great modern OS -- I've worked with FreeBSD
> and have OpenBSD on a laptop, so I can grok the *BSD stuff.
>
> Any thoughts?
> - - -
> Geoffrey T. Cheshire <gtc (at) cheshirelaw (dot) com>
> PGP IDs: 0xA898DA75, 0x7B9C0691 (office), 0x43713B0D (RSA)

I have a SS2 with 40mb ram and about 700mb disk space.  It runs Mysql
and Apache+PHP.  I run the system headless with Netbsd and it works
fine for light home use.  Ebay prices for a system like this seem to
run 20-30 dollars.  Maybe cheaper elsewhere.  The suggestion to find
a low end SS10 might be a good idea if you want to spend $100.

-Ken