[SunRescue] RE: Prom images for Sparcs :)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 13 19:00:29 CST 2001

drone8of9 at crosswinds.net writes:

>>>Funny, I was thinking last night it might be cool to patch the prom to
>>>bypass a dead NVRAM.  Burn in a default hostid, boot device, and whatever
>>>else is needed to get it up and running.  I wonder if it's even feasible,
>>>or where you'd get docs...

>Hmm...I think the issue would be space on the EPROM or how much more you
>could optimize the existing code to make space.  I don't know how much
>unutilized space, if any, is on the existing PROMs.  Otherwise it _should_
>be possible - I mean you would just have to hang it onto the bad NVRAM error
>routine.  Now the only issue is that if more than one system comes up with a
>bad NVRAM then you'll get duplicate MAC addresses on your local network
>which is a Bad Thing(tm).

Why, randomly generated MAC addresses of course!

(That's either a really good idea, or a really bad idea. Either way,
it's probably already patented.)

--- david fischer --- dave at cca.org --- www.cca.org -----------------------
----------------------- I took one sample and interpolated from there. ---