[SunRescue] Dumb question of the week

Ed Pate rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 13 12:49:59 CST 2001

--------------BFCA6748779EF05C575128DF

That is an error message from the X client (arcview) that you are
running.  It means that the X display server is refusing the client's
connection to your display.  You probably are running it as a different
user than the Xsession is running as.  You will need to run the xhost
command to allow connections.  You can either run `xhost +` to allow any
client from anywhere to connect (always a bad idea if anybody you don't
trust explicitly can get to that system through a network), or you can
run `xhost +localhost` to allow any client running on localhost to
connect.  You can substitute any system name or IP address for localhost
in that command.  You can reverse these commands by using a '-' instead
of a '+'.  And, as always, read the man page on xhost.

Ed

steve price wrote:

> Try  chmod 01777 /tmp/.X11-unix
>
> --- Stefan Hames <rsh5 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> > I'm running Solaris 7 on my SS5/170 as a regular
> > user, not root.  I
> > tried to run ArcView on the same machine and got an
> > error message
> > instead:
> >
> > redtail% arcview
> > [1] 3348
> > redtail% Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by
> > server
> > Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
> >
> > ------------------- TRACEBACK
> > -------------------------
> > Module "X    " Message   2: file "err.c     " line
> > 453
> > Module "Dsply" Message   0: file "./xdsply.c" line
> > 102
> > Module "Err  " Message  -1: file "err.c     " line
> > 1489

> > ERROR           Cannot open display ":0.0"
> > while           Initializing windowing environment
> > EXITING         cannot recover from error
> >
> > ------
> >
> > I think it's some kind of permissions thing,  since
> > it fires up fine if
> > I issue the command as root.  I checked and
> > .xauthority has thye correct
> > permissionsAny clues for the clueless?
> >

> > --

> > Stefan Hames
> > Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
> > E221 Corson Hall
> > Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853-2701
> > Phone: 607-273-4915 (Home)
> >        607-254-2496 (Lab)
> >        607-254-4262 (Campus)
> >        607-255-8088 (Fax)

--------------BFCA6748779EF05C575128DF

begin:vcard
n:Pate;Ed
tel;fax:904-359-3904
tel;work:904-359-2401
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:CSX Technology;MidTier Strategic
adr:;;550 Water St, J976;Jacksonville;FL;32202;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:Ed_Pate at CSX.com
title:Engineer - Technical Architecture
fn:Ed Pate