[SunRescue] Low-Bandwidth X

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 13 10:04:17 CST 2001

No, I don't.  I've talked to Symbolics about getting one, but they are
pretty expensive still (A UX400 is $750 and unsupported, a MacIvoryII is
600, but requires buying a now rare model of Mac and finding a new video
board and ethernet board for said rare machine, or a 3620 or 3650 which
while still single phase 120, draws enough amps that I'd have to add a new
circuit breaker, which probably won't go over well with the parents.
Plus, I'd still need to buy a console for that machine).

Symbolics machines don't look like they are likely to come down in price
anytime soon either.  I just wish that they would port their OS to linux
and lower the price.  Currently, I can buy the OS, but it requires a
DecAlpha running Dunix and it costs $5000.

Someday, maybe I'll have enough money to buy one, or maybe I'll find one
extra cheap.  Until then, I can only dream of what the machine must be
like to use.

--
Joshua Boyd