[SunRescue] Large networks [OT]

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 13 07:47:33 CST 2001

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 01:21:46AM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2001 at 11:02:09PM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> > Slight nitpick here - AOL's service does not use TCP/IP.  They have
> > their own custom protocol; then they convert from AOL/IP (or whatever
> > name they have for it) to TCP/IP traffic on their gateway servers.
>
> How the heck do I run tcp/ip apps using AOL, then?  In a pinch, I've
> got an insta-AOL account, dialed up with their software, minimized it,
> then run "normal" apps on top of their IP stack...
>
> If they're using a custom protocol, its at least winsock compatible.

AIEEEE!  Run for the hills, our esteemed listmaster is a clost AOL
Achiever!!!

Correct me if I am wrong, but you have to use their AOL Adapter or
whatever they call it.  This is basically a software shim that
replaces part of the standard TCPIP stack found in winsock.dll.

That is, calls to socket functions are thunked out to something
AOL-specific.

Just kidding about the "AOL Achiever" part...

Cordially

Patrick Giagnocavo
patrick at zill.net