type-3 (was: Re: [SunRescue] RE: Which Box Should I use?)

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 13 06:16:34 CST 2001

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Peter L. Wargo wrote:

> You blaspheme!  The type-3 was by far the best kbd Sun made... A real UNIX
> keyboard... (Even the type 4 is better than the newer ones, IMHO.)

A good condition type 4 has one of the greatest keyboard feels ever in my
opinion.  They're incredibly well built.  I really enjoy the firmness to
the keys as I tend to type with about the same amount of finger force I
play Tchaikovsky with.  The type 3 has a different "springiness" which
bugs me a bit.

Type 4 keyboard, type 5 optical mouse (modded to 4800bps for better
tracking) is my combination of choice.  Oh, and replace the felt pads on
the type 5 with adhesive backed teflon strips.  You'll never want to use
anything else.

-James