[SunRescue] Dumb question of the week

Stefan Hames rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 12 15:36:16 CST 2001

I'm running Solaris 7 on my SS5/170 as a regular user, not root.  I
tried to run ArcView on the same machine and got an error message
instead:

redtail% arcview
[1] 3348
redtail% Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

------------------- TRACEBACK -------------------------
Module "X    " Message   2: file "err.c     " line 453
Module "Dsply" Message   0: file "./xdsply.c" line 102
Module "Err  " Message  -1: file "err.c     " line 1489

ERROR           Cannot open display ":0.0"
while           Initializing windowing environment
EXITING         cannot recover from error

------

I think it's some kind of permissions thing,  since it fires up fine if
I issue the command as root.  I checked and .xauthority has thye correct
permissionsAny clues for the clueless?

Stefan Hames
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
E221 Corson Hall
Cornell University, Ithaca NY 14853-2701
Phone: 607-273-4915 (Home)
       607-254-2496 (Lab)
       607-254-4262 (Campus)
       607-255-8088 (Fax)