[SunRescue] Making Solaris 2.8 be a NAT gateway

Ron Rosson rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 12 14:48:57 CST 2001

* Ron Rosson (insane at oneinsane.net) [010312 08:32]:
> Heya People,
>
> Here is what I have:
>         A SUN Ultra 1 running Solaris 2.8 with 2 ethernet cards running
>         IPFilter.
>
> The server is also running DHCPD to hand out IP addresses on le1. Ok
> when I boot up I get an error on ifconfig for le1. when I get a prompt I
> see that it initialized le1 with the same settings as le0 (Not Good).
>
> So what do I do to fix that?
>
> The one job of this box that I really need to get working quickly is for
> it to work as a NAT gateway for the IP addresses that it hands out VIA
> the le1 interface..
>
> What is the magic to getting both ethernet cards configured properly on
> boot?
>
> le0  <- Public IP
> le1  <- Private IP
>
> The IPFilter Stuff is already done.
>
> If anyone has a HOWTO please point me to it.. My Solaris knowledge is
> still very weak. (I am a *BSD person try to learn Solaris  ;-))

Well the ifconfig error came from me thinking I edited /etc/hostname.le1
(it still had the same name)

I figured out that I needed to do a:
        ndd -set /dev/ip ip_forwarding 1

Still does not send packets.

I noticed in one of my many sanity reboots that IPF errors saying
something about layer 2 invalid header or something or other. IPF was a
binary install. I think this layer 2 something or other is my issue I
need to concentrate on.

Any suggestions, help, pointers, etc would be awesome.

TIA

Ron Rosson          			      ... and a UNIX user said ...
The InSaNe One                 			      rm -rf *
insane at oneinsane.net     	            and all was /dev/null and *void()