[SunRescue] Low-Bandwidth X

jeff borisch rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 12 11:26:35 CST 2001

Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:

> DPS is a vector format, not a bitmap one.  Thus, text is represented
> as formatting commands plus the actual text, and lines and circles can
> be represented rather compactly.  However, DPS is more verbose when it
> has to actually handle bitmaps, such as JPEGs, GIFs, etc.  However, it
> requires a lot of floating point calculations to render quickly.

Does it handle the whole screen as bitmaps?

I thought X did something like pass the window geometry, tell widget
locations, states, etc.

If you are doing image editing I could see the *contents* of the windows
being sent as bitmap info.

I'm not disagreeing with you. I am ignorant on this topic. Although I can
say DPS does pretty well on an old 68040. (-:

regards,
jeffrey