[SunRescue] Re: First Computers (was Re: Yay, I don't feel...)

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 12 10:00:09 CST 2001

>>The first machine I used was a Commodore PET 2001-8, back
>>in 1978 (I was 17 at the time).  It was at school, part of
>>the electronics course. I don't have one of that particular
>>model PET in my collection.

Mine was an IBM 5100 which my father brought home from work to program on.
Green screen, tape drive (no floppy), and Hunt The Wumpus.  Even Pong which
my father programmed into it!  I was soo proud of myself when I learned to
use the Print command and for-next loops to print a picture of the
Enterprise on the screen. *sigh* Memories.

>>The first machine of my own was a Compukit UK101, a British
>>copy of the Ohio Scientific.  Same 6502 processor as the
>>PET, of course.  I still have it, it still works, I've
>>written an emulator for it (8086 asm) and I occasionally
>>write code for it!  See my Web site:

The first actual system I owned was much later.  An Atari 800XL which I
promptly learned to program in Atari Basic.  Complete with cassette tape
drive.  I still have it somewhere.  I moved from that to a Laser 128 (Apple
IIc clone).  It wasn't until many years later that I owned a PC of any type
then it was a 386DX-33.  (Odd board - had 16 simm slots on it so you could
literally fill it with 16 4 meg simms if you wanted for 64meg.  I also still
have that board somewhere.)

Mike Hebel