First Computers (was Re: [SunRescue] Yay, I don't feel...)

Chad Fernandez rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Mar 10 15:31:04 CST 2001

My first computer was also a Vic-20.  It was handme down from my uncle.
I had several game cartriages, and tapes.  I had the tape drive, but no
floppy.  I would copy computer tapes using regualr audio tape recorders
and a patch cord.  At one point I had a borrowed Ram Expander too.  I
would use the Vic-20 at home and an Apple //e at school.  Then for a few
years I didn't have much interaction with computers. I didn't know about
the internet, and didn't know hardrives had grown beyond
40megs......this was 94 maybe.  I missed most of the Windows 3.1
era..... just caught the end as 95 was in beta.

While in college I got an old Zentih laptop from a retired doctor.  The
hard drive didn't work, so I didn't get to do much except play.  I used
the lab computers and my friends 486dx2-66.  He had the hotest computer
on campus, since it was a rather poor Christian college.  I only went
there 1.5 years, and when I got home, I quickly picked up a couple of
used IBMS... an XT that had mostly clone parts inside, and a PC that was
origianl.  I used the XT until it died, then throgh the PC back
together, and used it with no hard drives, for email.  My dad bought a
Packard Bell 486sx used and I used that too.

While back here in Michigan, I started going to Western Michigan
University, and had an account on the Vax cluster.... thats was neat!

I have just gradually upgraded machines as I go, most of them being
either cheap or sometimes free.

Still don't have any sun hardware, though.

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA