[SunRescue] SS2 memory

Scott Norwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 9 13:01:04 CST 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Scott Newell wrote:

> While we're at it, what's the going rate for these sbus mem boards, and the
> PowerUp chip?  More than I'd want to give, I'm sure!  :-)

(old thread...sorry)

I'll add here that I personally think that the Powerup upgrade isn't
worthwhile.  I have two SS2s, one with the Powerup chip and one without
(and otherwise identical), and I really couldn't tell much of a
difference in performance for interactive use.  Huge compilation stuff
will go slightly faster on the Weitek machine, but it's not enough of
a difference to be worthwhile, IMHO.

Does anyone know where to get 4gig or larger drives for the SS2 (50-pin
SCSI) cheap?  I need more disk space, but already have two 4gig disks
(SCA) in my SS20 desktop machine, so I figure that 50-pin drives for
SS2s would have to be cheaper than any of the external arrays, correct?

- Scott