[SunRescue] Re: Re: Memory source recommendation

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 8 10:17:11 CST 2001

I thought I heard a "Gregory Leblanc" say:

> Anybody know if the blade 100 -really- requires ECC, or if it'll work
> with non ECC? (I'm looking for a for-sure type answer.  Quote out of a
> book, or tell me you've tried it.  :-)

Closest I can get is that a friend in Sun engineering is buying one for
himself and adding aftermarket ECC. He said specifically "10ns SDRAM with
ECC. PC133 ECC." I usually give him credit for knowing what's "required"
vs what's "supported"... or at least being able to find out.

If you're buying new, it's a negligible difference (10%?), although if you
have a pile from your existing system(s) I guess it could be a significant
consideration.

And apparently, on a side note, they do have some minor upgrade offers.
12-14% off non-promotional pricing (the $995 is a promo, not discountable)
depending on what you trade in. From what I can tell, you'd be better off
ebaying your old machine rather than trading it in, as most Ultras still
go for more than $300. But that S5-70 with 16 meg of ram and a 500mb disk
might be worth trading in. :) Gotta call a number on sunstore to find out
the specifics.

Hope this helps.

Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows