[SunRescue] Should an editor require you to think?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 8 06:27:14 CST 2001

> vi is extremely non intuitive. If I simply type vi at the command prompt
> I recieve a screen full of tildes. There is no chance in hell I can use
> this without looking at help files or man pages.

Interestingly Enough, Ease of use is why I chose vi (actually vim) rather than
EMACS as my editor/enviroment of choice.  While remembering ^[:w comes pretty
easy as do things like ^[q!, the quirks and keystrokes of Emacs and the like
seem counter productive, IMHO. But I promise I'm *really* not trying to start
another Emacs vs vi war :-).  My current quest for a better vi replacement that
will run on wintel/sun/*nix that does syntax highlighting, and can handle files
over a FTP link :-).

Christopher