[SunRescue] Should an editor require you to think?

Christopher Byrne rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 8 02:32:29 CST 2001

No, document processing involves layout, word processing doesnt. BTW, I'm
using Donald Knuth's definitions here. According to him (he wrote TeX, he
should know ;-) there are three primary functions here

1. Word processing covers the basic entry of text, and the saving of files
etc... basic editor functions
2. text processing is the handling and manipulation of text (fonts and
faces, pagination, paragraph properties)
3. document processing is the layout of pages for printing or viewing
(typesetting or DTP)

In that sense, any text editor can be used for word processing. Packges like
TeX, LaTeX, troff, groff, nroff, are used to do the other two. IN the
windows sense word processing actually combines some of all three

Chris Byrne