[SunRescue] Re: OT: Dual PPro MB wanted

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 7 19:32:59 CST 2001

I thought I heard a "nick at snowman.net" say:

> What you're looking for is an Intel PR440FX board.  When they can be found
> they run between 90 and 110$, come with onboard ethernet and scsi, and
> have I think 4 pci slots.  They are ATX, and very reliable.  If anyone has
> a solid source for them I'd love to know about it.

They're fairly common on ebay I think. I have one around here somewhere
with dead IDE. You can also look for Micronics W6LI, which have options
for sound and scsi... one of those was my first ppro board.

Helpful note, you should be able to use Sun Ultra 5/10 memory in the
providence-class (PR440FX, W6LI) boards. If you're upgrading from
32meggers it's a good place to find the dimms. But yeah, they are
expensive.

I also have a couple of SuperMicro (I think) AT dual PPro that take normal
72pin simms. Got them at a swap meet last year. They are out there, but
not as common as the Providence boards.

-Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows