[SunRescue] Should an editor require you to think?

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Mar 7 11:03:20 CST 2001

On 06 Mar 2001 22:15:02 -0800, Chris Byrne wrote:
> When it comes to writing, the culture in the united states has nearly totally
> absorbed the concept of typing on a screen as a "natural" thing. Most people
> in our culture feel comfortable with natural stream of consciousness writing
> in a word processor.

None of Vi, Pico, or Emacs are Word Processors the way that term is
generally used.  They are, in the case of the first two, strictly text
editors.  The Emacs Operating Environment is not just a text editor, but
it doesn't have a worthwhile word processor (amateur desktop publishing
is more acurate).  For editing config files, any of these editors is
just fine, but for writing things like a resume, or a report for school,
they're really not the right tool for the job.