[SunRescue] Pico Forever!!! Nah.. ed ed ed!

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 6 17:58:49 CST 2001

> Blah, I don't like seeing PDP's referred to as the "lower" class of
> systems.. No PDPs = No UNIX (not so sure that would be a bad thing though).
> OK now I'm going to be flamed, but hey I'm not a big UNIX fan, never have
> been, oh well. But hey, to each their own.. Anyway, my vote for the ultimate
> editor goes to TECO, dammit...

Nah, no flames.  My Inet flak jacket is too musty, dusty, rusty, etc.

PDP's are fine.  My inference to them as lesser was mostly about trying
to load anything these days, of any flavor of UNIX, in 2mb ram or less.
2.11BSD should fit though, AFIK, on many PDP hardwares.

The last 2mb UNIX I can remember is AIX-1, which loads and runs fine in
2mb.  Solaris 8... YIKES!

TECO, now that is a classic.  But not standard on the default install (:+}}.

> Will J
> (Who plans to run V7 on either his 11/34A or his 11/84, and who wants to run
> BSD on his 11/780 ;p)

V7 is great!  I was thinking about doing a 32V port to my MVII critter.
It should be doable, with some tweaks.  Plain simple machine, then.
32V would run on your 11/780 if you have the right configuration.
The original port is pretty limited in hardware support, from reading
the install docs, and looking through the code a little bit.
NetBSD should do fine on your 11/780.  I have got VAX ports back to
the earliest, which came from an 11/780 if memory is correct, if you
need them.  I have run them all on my MVII, and would consider 1.2
about the best light-handed port.

Bob