[SunRescue] Pico Forever!!!

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 6 17:27:21 CST 2001

The real "feature" that Pico has is the key combinations for
several common operations are displayed on the bottom of the
screen. Most new VI users get tripped up with the "modal nature"
of VI - if they would simply turn on 'show mode' (or whatever it
is called) they would be in good shape. Also. learning to press
the escape key every once in a while is a good habit too.

VI is very straight-forward and logical, but you have to
understand the origin of VI and the context it was developed
under.

Before there were mice to navigate, there were cursor contol
keys on "high-end" terminals, but "real programmers" didn't use
them because: a) you had to pick you hand off the keyboard to
use them, b) theyre was no standard location on the keyboard for
them (across the top, on the left or fight, etc), c) may not be
supported on your terminal. Almost every keyboard I have seen
has an h, j, k and l key...

Ken