[SunRescue] Re: Overpricing

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Mar 6 10:50:04 CST 2001

On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Tim Harrison wrote:

> "Peter L. Wargo" wrote:
> You kinda have to agree with the guy in some respects.  95 does suck.
> However, 3.1 was no beauty itself.  Yet, even I, a collector of old and
> silly things, have a PII 333 for my internet surfing. :)
>
> I guess he wanted to get his money's worth out of this broken-down ol'
> 3.1 machine.

Until november of 00, I used a 486 or a Sun IPX for all internet surfing.
Then I moved and use a p166.  Soon that 486 will go back into service
running PPPoE and IPMasq.  My parents paid $700 to buy me that computer
nearly 10 years ago, and I am darn well going to get their moneys worth
out of it. ;)

I really miss being able to just dial in with a terminal program to a
server.  It was so much more responsive than telnet.  When doing classwork
from home I would use a shell rather than telnet to get to a school
machine to that pico wouldn't lag behind my typing (I dislike VI and at
the time emacs wasn't installed).

--
Joshua Boyd