[SunRescue] users

Gil Young rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Mar 5 08:17:57 CST 2001

Wally, if this is a purely internal system, the best way is to get a list
of employees from HR, and delete all non-employee accounts.  If there are
people on the system that are not employees, you will find out about them
when they come running to you (this may include consultants, but hey, you
have to start somewhere).  This will give you a great baseline to start
working against.

This could be taken as  BOFH'ish, but if you are unsure of the accounts,
they really do need to be cleaned out and re-requests made.  Let them know
it is a security audit of the system and thank them for their
understanding.  Immediately establish account request forms and track all
requests for accounts from that point on.  On the form, get as much info as
possible (name, date location of person, term of account (i'd make it
yearly), purpose of account, etc..)

If you are nervous about deletions, do not delete the questionable
accounts, but deactivate them (put a # in front of the password hash for
each account).  Then hold them deactivated for 30 days, if no-one
complains, then delete them.

Best Wishes!

Gil