[SunRescue] (1) Mac AUI adapter and (2) SunPC

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Mar 4 18:52:38 CST 2001

>>(1) A few days ago someone on the list was asking for a
>>   'Mac AUI transceiver' or somesuch.  At first I wasn't
>>    sure of the meaning but now I think I know.  Are you
>>    talking about the little external 'dongle' adapter
>>    that connects the Mac's mini-centronics ethernet to
>>    some 'real' connector like 10-base-T? If so, and if
>>    you haven't found one yet, I've got one more than I
>>    have machines using them.  It has been in my attic
>>    for about 3 years...not Apple branded.  Write me and
>>    you're welcome to it.  Unfortunately,  I deleted that
>>    digest before I understood what was being sought.

It was me.  I was looking for the dongle.  Contact me at druaga at pmail.net
and I will be happy to give you shipping info for said dongle.  (I already
have one coming from someone but I recently discovered that I need two.)

>>(2) I just picked up a SunPC Sbus card for my SS20 on
>>    E-bay.  It was advertised as 'new in box' and I
>>    thought that would have meant all of the software
>>    would be with it.  It isn't.  This disappoints me,
>>    especially since I specifically passed on bidding for
>>    one that stated 'just the board, no software' and got
>>    the more expensive 'new in box' board.  Live and
>>    learn.  But, now I need to get the SunPC software to
>>    go with the card.  I can't find it on Sun's site.
>>    Any suggestions?

I have the SunPC software version 4.blah - I can't recall the exact version
number.  You're welcome to a copy.  Call it trade for the dongle.  See above
for contact e-mail.  (My drone8of9 address is acting "funky" due to
anti-Spam software installed on it.)

>>As some background, I subscribed to the list less than
>>two weeks ago.

Welcome!

>>I'm a hardware scrounge, but until very
>>recently I've only had good access to DEC gear, Macs,
>>and a few PC's.  I recently acquired 2 Sparc 20's each
>>with Dual Ross CPU's.  Nice little boxes.  I gave one
>>away to a buddy.  The one I kept has since become my
>>desktop machine at home and I love it.  Since then the
>>PC I run Linux on went headless when I gave the monitor
>>away for my daughter's school computer lab (which has
>>ten machines I scrounged from various places and set up).
>>I'm now looking to get rid of the PC completely...it will
>>go to the school too.  Now it just writes an occasional
>>floppy.  (Which reminds me...anyone have a floppy drive
>>bezel for a SparcStation20? I've a drive, but no bezel.)

You'll fit in just fine.  *GRIN*

Mike Hebel