[SunRescue] Re: Compiling Perl Programs

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Mar 4 17:43:16 CST 2001

On Sun, Mar 04, 2001 at 03:09:22PM -0800, Ron Rosson wrote:
> Ummm... It is installed.. Even reinstalled it after this email to see if
> that would help just in case one of the patch updates broke something..
> Still no go. Same problem.

The notes from my sol8 review:

(03/29/00) - from a reader:
I did a little hacking of perl and found that all of the compiler
options perl uses are in /usr/perl5/5.00503/sun4-solaris/Config.pm you
can change them to use gcc and the options you need.
- William J. Mittelstadt (mittewil at bigfoot.com)

(06/27/00) - from an authority at Sun:
Please DON'T pkgrm the packages, even if you want to 'roll your own'
perl. The reason for this is that the new kstat(1) command uses the
perl installed with the system, and if you pkgrm the perl packages you
will break the command. The level of breakage will increase if and when
we add more perl-based utilities to the OS. I have both the stock
5.005_03 (installed under /usr/perl5) and 5.6.0 (installed under
/usr/local) installed on my machine, and they coexist just fine. Just
make sure that the one you prefer is found first in your PATH.
Hope that helps,

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net