[SunRescue] Looking for SS20

P.A.Osborne rescue at sunhelp.org
Sun Mar 4 13:46:02 CST 2001

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 01:26:07AM -0600, Reagen Ward wrote:
> It wasn't but about a year ago that my employer decomissioned a nice
> dual 50Mhz SS20 that was running the sybase back-end for QIP, and we're
> far from being a small company (fourth largest domestic software
> company).  It was replaced with an E250 that sits idle most of the time,
> just runs the QIP Sybase db, the QIP application stuff, and is the
> hidden DNS master.

I see the same here at UKC.  Until last summer we were using an
SS20 dual 50Mhz as our main MX and it was fine shipping 60K emails
a day.  But with the silver maintenance contract we have with Sun
it was getting silly.  400gbp a year maintenance vs  1000gbp (academic
pricing) for an Ultra 5?   To my boss the latter option makes sense,
particularly when we go for two U5s and (finally - dont ask) have
a second MX for resilience.

In the meantime the SS20 is getting more use now than before as an
out of service test machine - before I 'ahem' arrange its carriage
to the scrapyard.  :-)

--Paul