[SunRescue] Looking for SS20

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 2 23:22:23 CST 2001

Bill,

In my opinion, an SS/20 only makes sense if you have a
reasonably well-stocked parts bin, and don't need to go out and
look for HDs, RAM, or CPUs. The way the market is right now, I
would be very hesitant to open my wallet and spend *cash* of any
magnatude on SBUS SPARC hardware.

Any box based on a Sun4c CPU (IPC, SS/1/2/etc) is not worth
dollar one to me, that is not to say they don't have usefullnes,
but I think the folks that buy these units now are going to be
the last owners of them.

I liken this to the market for 80486-based PCs.

Sun4m boxes have a bit more time to be marketable, but honestly,
I'd have to think real hard before I open my wallet for anything
less than a *real nice* SS/20 (like the 2x SM50, 128 Meg RAM, 2x
1 Gig HD, 4 Meg VSIMM and CD-ROM equiped SS/20 I got for about
$250 a few months back). The 2x SM71s were a nice upgrade, and I
think that box will be my "beater" for trying things out.

Sun Ultra 1s are still quite usefull, and they will be
marketable for 12-18 months, due mainly to their spiraling value
and binary compatability with newer machines.

Ultra 2s are the new SS/20s AFAIAC, and will hold their value
for 2 years plus, since they are so powerful, and deployed in so
many applications as servers... At 2x300 MHz Ultra SPARC CPUs,
these units can handle most anything thrown at them, esp. I/O
related activities.

I can't speak to the Ultra 5, 10 and above systems - I've just
not dealt with them to have any sense of value/lifespan/etc.

Sun Blade 100s are the crack cocaine of the Sun market, and once
I can get one with a decent discount (educational) I'll be on
that unit right away. What I really like is the low-cost of
add-ons, like RAM, HD, etc. I suspect that a $1K server will
decimate the Cobalt Cube/RAQ market, and their technology will
evolve into a pure software offering, based on Sun's new
generation of hardware...

Well, those are my thoughts, I'm sure some folks will difer with
me, but hey, that's why were here, right? ;^)

Ken