[SunRescue] Piles and piles of Sun stuff to dispose of (hopefully!)

Steve Pacenka rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Mar 2 18:13:55 CST 2001

> The company I work for is in the process of cleaning out their labs and
> storage closets and store rooms and whatnot and are throwing out piles of
> older Sun stuff -- mostly keyboards, mice, older/broken monitors, cables --
> at a tremendous rate.

> At this point, I've managed to secure "theoretical" permission to haul it
> all away, given that it's going into the garbage otherwise, but I'm still
> trying to get clearance from the security dept. to remove it from the
> premises, and trying to figure out what I am and am not allowed to do with
> it, disposal-wise.

Jeffrey,

There may be some stuff left over after SunRescuers haul the choice bits away.
:^)

"Garbage" is a lousy destination for electronics equipment of any kind.
Computer scrap contains hazardous materials and non-hazardous materials that
will take forever to decompose in a landfill.

For the stuff that can't be reused, there ought to be many electronics scrap
recyclers in your area.

> And finally, the head of the IS department has run across two Sun part
> numbers in her part list that she can't identify, and would like to ask for
> your help:
>
> 370-2162 ASSY, 150MHZ, HYPERSPARC MODULE

150MHz MBUS HyperSparc CPU module for SS20 (also 10?), 512K cache.  Sold by
Sun as the "HS151".

> 501-2996 ASSY, PCB, 0MB, CPU, TAZMO

Ultra 450 system motherboard.

Lists for over $3000.

Reference: Just type in the part numbers at Google.

-- SP