[SunRescue] FT: 128mb Sun Ultra RAM

Mattias Paulsson rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Mar 1 14:27:24 CST 2001

> > BTW, this RAM works in an U1/2/30/60/etc.  I dont remember if a SS20 will
> > take 64mb DIMMs, but I beleive it will work in one of those as well.
>
> The SS20 will take 64,32, and 16MB DIMMs, it's the SS10 that's weird and
> will only take 64 and 16MB DIMMs (i.e *not* 32MB).  IIRC

Well, according to the 'memconf' utility that I've got here:

"WARNING: The 32MB SIMM is not supported in the SS10 or SS10SX according to
    Sun. However it does work correctly depending on the Open Boot PROM
    version. This system is running OBP 2.12, so 32MB SIMMs will only be
    recognized as 16MB SIMMs. You should upgrade to OBP 2.19 or later in order
    to be able to detect and utilize 32MB SIMMs."

...this indicates that 32MB SIMM's will work in a SS10 if you have a new OpenBoot PROM. When I have got my new 2.25 PROM I'll test it.

//Pson