[Re: [rescue] Link to listing of Comdisco sale items...]

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 29 10:22:53 CDT 2001

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 09:32:08AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> The only "cool" things about VA Linux boxes I've seen (we had a buttload
> of them at ConnectSouth) were the blue LED and the fact that you could
> use a serial console on them (altho this was more of a motherboard feature
> and a linux-kernel feature, and far from proprietary to them).

they have a bunch of 2U x86 boxes at half.com that can do the serial port
thing, i think they are intel 440 boards with some extra crap to make the
serial bits work.  don't remember, i could ask.  these 2U machines were just
off the shelf parts that the vendor we got them from overcharged for.  nothing
fancy like the Network Engines machines.

> I wish I knew what motherboards they used for this.

they were off the shelf. like i said, intel i think.  i'll check.

> Gimme a Netra X1 anyday, over this.

you're my hero.

-brian