[Re: [rescue] Link to listing of Comdisco sale items...]

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 29 09:05:02 CDT 2001

Here is another deal, for those interested - it is x86-based, so curb you
renthusiasim...

    http://www.valinux.com/systems/prodctinfo.html?product=1000q

    It is a quick-ship package...

VALinux is offering a 1U server w/dual P/III 750 MHz CPUs, 512 Meg ECC SDRAM, 18
Gig SCSI drive (room for one more SCSI or IDE drive), dual 10/100 Ethernet ports,
CD-ROM, room for one short PCI card, RH Linux 6.2 + VA Enhancements, and slide
rackmount kit for $800. Oh, and a copy of O'Reilly's "Running Linux, 3rd
edition".

Now, P/III 750s are not the fastest CPU in the world, but they are *very nice* in
many uses, and two is always better than one ;^) - remember, this *includes* both
CPUs...

512 Meg RAM is a nice amount of RAM for a linux machine - there are two more
DIMM slots for ECC SDRAM, up to 1 Gig RAM.

The SCSI subsystem is supported via an add-in PCI card, so you lose one of the
two PCI slots - it takes up the larger of the two, leaving the short PCI slot
mentioned earlier.

Graphics are a simple 2 MB chipset (fine for server use)...

Oh, and they ship within 2 days, and UPS ground commercial delivery is $28.55 to
a certain house in NJ ;^P

Downside - VALinux, the seller, is getting out of the hardware business, but will
support this box for one year. The CPUs are unusual, so upgrading to a faster
CPU would be challenging. And finally, I hear that this unit has about 4 fans
installed, so it is far from silent.

But, VALinux has a great reputation for quality hardware (this is a re-badged
NetworkEngines Blazer)...

I just checked, and they are still offering this deal - they also have others,
but this is a real sweet-spot in their pricing structure (IMHO).

Ken