[rescue] SGI and Intel (was: Another fine business decision for us axp-lovers)

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 14:46:27 CDT 2001

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001, Dave McGuire wrote:

> On June 26, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> > It's interesting that you keep mentioning linux on alpha performance,
>
>   Have I been harping on that point?  My apologies; I hadn't intended
> to. :-/

I wouldn't say you've been harping on it, but it the months I've been on
this list, I've noticed a definate pattern here.

> > So, on NetBSD, how do they get around the fact that GCC sucks on most risc
> > implementations?
>
>   I have NO idea.  NetBSD is *really really fast* on Alpha machines.  I
> guess I'd attribute it to lots of in-depth Alpha talent in a few of
> the core developers.  Some of those guys have a frighteningly thorough
> knowledge of Alpha hardware.

And maybe NetBSD is just plain faster.  One of these days I'll get a
NetBSD machine set up and give it a go.  I'm hearing more and more good
things about NetBSD on servers, but I think it will be a long time before
I ready to move my server to NetBSD.  Same for my main workstation (due to
NetBSDs relatively poor graphics support, compared to linux).  But I have
some spare hardware begging for an OS, and some people who would like it
if I had a spare workstation for them to use at my house.

--
Joshua Boyd