[rescue] The end of alpha

Brian Dunbar rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Jun 26 09:19:53 CDT 2001

>-----Original Message-----
From: Zach Malone [mailto:Diff at Mac.com]
Subject: Re: [rescue] The end of alpha

I dunno,
    Compaq buying DEC always seemed a little strange to me.
<snip>
The aquisition of Digital seemed to me to be a bragging thing, "If we buy
Digital, maybe people will think we are a real computer company".
    just my opinion<<

<disclaimer - I was employed by Compaq as an IT guy when they acquired DEC
and Tandem> As Compaq's employee propaganda explained, it made sense.  If
you bought the logic.  Compaq acquired Tandem to enter the the Big Computer
computer market.  They acquired DEC for their services business.  Classic
Compaq  would take care of the PC side of things and Compaq would have a
glorious future.  After, of course, some mandatory layoffs and
don't-let-the-door-hit-you-on-they-way-out Mr. Dunbar.

brian