[rescue] PC with Ich

Joshua D. Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Jun 21 08:59:36 CDT 2001

On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 sambo at charm.net wrote:

> "Joshua D. Boyd" wrote:
>

> > Yeah well, a Sun is nice hardware, and this machine is a PC, which was
> > home built, and while it is supposed to have a good motherboard (Tyan), it
> > has always had some minor problems.  For instance, I had to buy a PCI
>

> Check to make sure you've got spacers under the motherboard. Sounds like
> a short. Make sure the mobo's not touching the case.

Is the mobo not supposed to touch the case at all?  I have proper spaces,
but in one corner, the mobo is touching the drive cage.  I didn't think
that the edge of the mobo would be carrying current.

> > soundcard (I tried 3 different ISA ones, all worked the same) to keep the
>

> COuld the ISA card have been bending the corner of the mobo so it toched
> the case?

I don't think so, but I'm not going to try placing a new ISA card in the
sytstem to test that idea.

> > another sure fire way to crash.
>
> Can you describe the crash?

Sure, floppy makes its normal floppy sound, and OS displays what it
normally would (ie, nothing for linux, flying file folder for Windows file
copies), and then suddenly, the floppy stops, and the screen freezes, and
the machine falls off the eithernet.  Just hitting the power button isn't
enough, I have to actually pull the power plug out to reset the machine.

> > Ocasionally X locks up.  Here, I haven't ever taken the time to confirm
> > whether it was just X or the whole machine.  But, this isn't even a weekly
> > occurence.
>
> I get Netscape lockups all the time. Switching to Netscape, and the
> fonts go all small and funny and X just locks hard. I can access the box
> from another machine, and it's still running fine, but no matter what I
> kill the screen never comes back. Always requires a reboot.

Yeah, as I said, I haven't tested whether I can telnet in when the screen
locks.  I know that sometimes when X locks on this and other machines I
can hotkey over to a virtual console, but not always.

> > I didn't take the time to check /var/log/messages last night since I was
> > in a hurry to leave for a nightclub.
>
> So? D'joo have fun?

Yeah, but next time I take ear plugs (a large portion of the crowd had
them).  My ears are still ringing.

And I don't think that Amstel Lite is any better than other lite
beers, despite their ads.  Next time, I think I'll have to try a non-lite
beer.

So far, I haven't found any alchohol that I actually like to drink, except
for red wine.

--
Joshua Boyd