[rescue] 670MP windfall in the surplus diving frenzy today.....

Dan Debertin rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 16:26:08 CDT 2001

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Kevin Loch wrote:

> I thought netbsd had VME support for ages (sun3 VME support).
> Do they really not support VME on sun4?

Wait ... I'm wrong, but I don't know to what extent NetBSD supports VME.
There's definitely VME support there, though. It's the patched Solaris 2.6
and Linux that don't do VME.

But I still wonder about how complete the NetBSD VME support is. Can any
of you comment?

For example, would NetBSD support memory on the VME bus? I have two
expansion boards; I'd like to know that it can address that memory as well
as the sticks on the mainboard. What about SBus expansion boards?

I have users, so I can't exactly wipe my machine and install NetBSD "just
to find out".

There is still the holy grail of SMP support to worry about, too. Sparc
seems to be last on the list; we even got VAX SMP before Sparc. I don't
get it.

Dan
--
Dan Debertin