[rescue] SPARCstation 2

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Jun 20 14:42:52 CDT 2001

> Hello,
>     I recently got a SPARCstation 2, as I mentioned a short while back, =
> and was wondering whether it is worth the 200$ to fully upgrade this =
> thing.  I was thinking of bumping it up to the full 64mb of RAM plus the =
> 64mb daughter card, and a PowerUP processor upgrade.  Would such a =
> machine be powerful enough to run as a OpenBSD workstation (console, no =
> windowing system)?  I realize that in all likelyhood that 200$ would be =
> better spent on a 586 machine, but I would like to replace my current =
> Athlon with something a little more reliable (and quite) then x86 =
> hardware.
>     Zach Malone

It is not worth upgrading, to any extent.  It can make a useful box
with OpenBSD (I am running one now, as a webserver), with 64mb of 4mb
30 pin simms, and enough HD to suit (a pair of 2 gig scsi does fine).

I break up old one-buck PeeCee's I get out of surplus if they have
any 9 chip 4mb ram sticks in them, just to fill mine out.  If you
have to spend real money on it, it probably won't be worth spending
over 20 or 30 bucks on.

Raid a few 486/33 boxes for ram sticks, and scrounge up some 1 gig
or larger scsi drives, and it will do fine in console mode.
X is a little slow if running much under X (e.g. Netscraper).
Cmdline is fine, for most anything.

Bob